Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Sleeping and eating...not so much!

This is exactly what has been going on for the past week and this is an excerpt from What to Expect;

With midnight bathroom runs, leg cramps, heartburn, and your basketball-sized belly, it's no wonder sleep is elusive. Third-trimester insomnia strikes about three-quarters of pregnant women (who may also be coping with a mind that races all night long thinking about your to-do-before-the-baby-comes list).

To my recollection I have never experienced heartburn so a few nights ago when I was woken by a shooting pain through my upper ribcage I was confused...after some googling (of course) I realized that I had made my famous turkey meatballs for dinner which was accompanied by tomato sauce = acidic, and discovered yuck this is heartburn!!!! It was hard to breath, I couldn't lay down or sit down, so I made tea, and did some laps around the downstairs area. A fly on the wall must have been amused by that, front door to kitchen then lap around the kitchen island into living room and circle back to front door, I did this about 6 times, haha. I could finally breath again.

The next night I hardly ate anything and I had dozed off on the couch for about a half hour then came upstairs to go to bed, well that didn't go as planned. As soon as I laid down I felt like whatever food I had eaten hours ago was still sitting halfway between my chest and throat...ughhhh not this again?!? I dug deep into our medicine drawer and found Tums I had bought a long time ago (honestly I think I had bought them for our honeymoon but never used them), thankfully my forgetfulness was not in action at the time bcs. I found them, they happened to not be expired, YAY, and took two of them. We'll disregard the fact that I just brushed my teeth before I had to chew them, at least it was better than drinking OJ after brushing your teeth. After about 30 minutes and some iPad reading I felt a little better and was able to lay down and sleep, until I was woken by having to go to the bathroom - such a vicious cycle.

Any of you that know me know I have a very good appetite. Could be why I never seem to lose that "extra 10 pounds". I know I'm pregnant I'm not supposed to talk about dieting, regardless I love to eat, I love food and there is very rarely anything left on my plate when I eat, ok now I sound like a food hoarder, ha!! Well times have unfortunately changed :( Anytime I eat I am full for hours after, I am supposed to be eating several small meals to try to avoid heartburn but I just don't have much of an appetite because I am nervous it will all lead back to that one dreadful (lap around the kitchen) night of heartburn. My portion sizes are way down and I am headed back to the world of bland foods. Sigh...

Oh yeah and I do get the leg cramps too, I keep visualizing that it's cellulite growing, LOL! I don't know how they compare my uterus to the size of a honeydew melon at this stage when from the outside it looks like I swallowed...well quite frankly a baby!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Luney!!!!! This is the really tough part and so glad that you know how to take care of yourself, but at least Zara and that fly on the wall are keeping busy watching you do your laps at night:) I hope nice grilled cheese is on the menu for today!

    ReplyDelete